Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 May 2013 18:48:54 -0700
From:         David Moyal <moyald@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      sliding door lock '83 vanagon

What often happens on the older door latch mechanism is the tiny spring inside that holds the button either up or down breaks. Then gravity makes the button drop down, into the locked position. But you can still open the door using the key to hold the button up while you pull down on the handle. The spring is inside of a sealed assembly and not trivial to access.

There is a simple workaround it this turns out to be your problem. Just get a piece of hose or tubing that snugly fits over the button shaft. Push it against the door. That friction will hold the button up instead of the dead spring.

Thanks, Mark. But the lock button doesn't seem to be the problem. And regardless of the key position the handle won't open the door. At this point I have the handles and lock cover off, but in order to get the lock assembly out I need to have the door open, and that's what I can't figure out how to do. I don't have an exploded view of the lock mechanism to refer to. Anyone have any ideas on getting the door open? Many thanks, David '83 Westy '61 BMW R r69S