Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 May 2013 00:40:03 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oils and gasoline Oil Viscosity at temparature.
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

When reading SAE oil grades for multi-weight oils the lower or "w" number refers to the oil at 40C and upper number is at 100C. A common viscosity measurement is centistokes, (cSt). SAE 50 will have a viscosity near 18 cSt at 100C regardless of whether it is a synthetic or not. The Mobil 1 15w-50 will have a viscosity of 125 cSt at 40C. A 20w-50 will be closer to 170 cSt at 40C. The synthetics usually have a wider viscosity index without as much need for modifiers and their performance can shine at temperatures far away from these standards.

One thing that needs to be understood is that for loose tolerance engines or those that are worn too much clearance on one side always means less or insufficient clearance on the other side. As such loose engines can actually be more demanding of the oil to keep the parts separated.

As important as an oil pressure gauge is it is even more helpful the have an oil temperature gauge. The Water boxer has a wonderful (?) ability to have oil temperatures not follow the coolant temperature, especially at high speeds and loads and the situation gets worse when the crankcase is over filled. It is these high oil temps that cause the loss of oil pressure both from viscosity loss and the case expansion letting the bearings get loose and the pump to lose its ability to pump. The oil can go into thermal run away and this is where we get those thrown rods. If not for this phenomenon the Water boxer would have no problem running with a *w-30 or *w-40 oil. For daily winter driving (to-from work) I use the 0w-40 which works just fine on my red van which is completely stock. For summer and/or long trips I want the 15w-50.

Keep in mind that higher viscosity oils have their draw backs. They provide poorer lubrication when cold and they rob power and economy.

Dennis

Ahh, these threads are so much fun! Everyone has an opinion and an opportunity to join in. I can't resist.

Regarding better mileage with premium gas, if it doesn't contain 10% (it does here in WA, you are fortunate in Canada) you will get about 3% better fuel economy due to the lower energy content of ethanol (ethanol adds oxygen for more complete combustion). Since you are getting more than that, then you probably have some carbon build up that is increasing compression to the point where you get some knock with heavy loads on regular.

Regarding synthetic oils and viscosity, the SAE rating is "effective viscosity," not physical viscosity. A 15w-50 synthetic oil is physically thinner than a 15w-50 dino oil, but the chemistry of a synthetic (more long chain molecules of consistent length plus viscosity extenders) offers the same effective viscosity lubrication with higher breakdown temps in a thinner (purer) oil.

With its being thinner we can run into low oil pressure issues with some synthetics in our loose WBX engines (the hotter they get the looser). 15w-50 should be fine, but 20w-50 may be needed in worn engines since it is physically thicker than the 15w-50. Run the 5w oils ("mileage boosting" oil for modern cars) and you can have pressure problems at high temps.

Which brings me to my last point. All WBX engines should have an oil pressure guage! Van Café has a great kit at a great price (I did my research): http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_362_263/oil_pressure_gauge_kit.html

Best money and two hours you'll spend.

I had one on my '84 and am installing this one on my '85 this weekend (and I'll transfer it to the Subaru engine). It didn't keep me from blowing up my engine, but at least I knew I was on borrowed time: http://volksweb.relitech.com/21rodbrg.htm

For more fun reading on oil look up "tribology," which is the science of lubrication. You will learn that two of the best known lubricants are whale oil and castor oil (Castrol's original formula).

Stuart