Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 May 2013 14:04:26 -0400
From:         John Lauterbach <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic Transmission Governor
Comments: To: James Ogul <jimogul70@GMAIL.COM>

I have run into the same problem with my '84. I have a favorite locval transmission shop that knows how to clean the valve body, change the filter, and put new fluid in. Work should not be a big deal.

John

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 07:03 -0400, James Ogul wrote:

> Thaniks. Good explanation. Very helpful information. I'll try to find someone that can work on it. Leery of going to the "chains". Not likely to find anyone who has previously worked on a VW AT. Maybe just going to a rebuilt is the best option although not cheap. > > Jim > 85 Westy > On May 30, 2013, at 12:01 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > Since no one answered yet the governor is what sets the shifts points. There > > are two weights on centrifugally operated. One does the 1-2 upshift and the > > other the 2-3. It is connected to the pinion shaft so it speed is directly > > related to vehicle speed. The only failure I have seen in this part is > > debris in one of the ports but that is usually not a temperature related > > problem. > > > > Not being able to upshift is usually in indication of the pressure problem. > > The pump inlet screen may be restricted or one of the seals/pistons inside > > the transmission is leaking internally until things warm up. Sometimes the > > problem could be in the valve body. Most likely though you are looking at an > > overhaul. If planning to have yours repaired the longer you wait the more it > > may cost. If you wait until it starts to slip then you will start burning > > things up. There is a pressure port and the Bentley does give some > > troubleshooting information. > > > > Dennis > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > > James Ogul > > Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:58 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Automatic Transmission Governor > > > > Can someone explain what this does. I see it in Bentley but can't figure > > out its function as part of the AT. I'm wondering if it could be the > > culprit in my tranny issue where it won't upshift to 3rd until warmed up. > > > > Jim > > 85 Westy

-- John H. Lauterbach, Ph.D., DABT Sole Member & Principal, Chemistry & Toxicology Lauterbach & Associates, LLC (Georgia Office) 211 Old Club Court Macon, GA 31210-4708

Tel. 478-474-8818 Tel. 478-474-3027 Fax 478-474-0117 Cell 478-731-2966