Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jun 2013 05:32:17 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exaust system replacement
Comments: To: Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>

All good advice.  I did this a couple of years ago and wound up breaking off two studs, both uppers.  One on the driver's side rear and the other on the passenger side front.  The second one I got out with PB Blaster, heat and a pipe wrench.  The other eventually required head removal and the services of a machine shop. You'll probably wind up removing more nearby parts than you anticipated simply because, while you can see and even reach the target parts, you can't get any muscle on them without making more space.  Bag and label the stuff you take off and need to reinstall. Photos will help because you WON'T remember everything.  Trust me on this.

I also found handy a Dremel tool with cutting wheel that let me slice through some troublesome nuts and remove them to salvage the stud and threads.  I began with a Sawzall to cut away the big chunks of exhaust just to get them out of the way. If you do get a shop to quote you on the job be sure to ask about broken studs and the price for additional work.  You might be shocked at the resulting number. It's a challenging job.  Really smart people like me wait for humid, awful mid-summer to arrive in Virginia and then have to perform the work in a gravel driveway.  It only adds to the joy. Good luck! Stephen