Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 2013 16:18:06 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil analysis on worn engine
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Sounds like a plan, but the air filter was new and the intake is clean. There could be sand in the crankcase, it was a very dusty rig from a dry climate. But it had minimal rust!

I'll spend the extra money for the purpose of increasing the collective knowledge, even though I hate to put any more money than necessary into this engine, which is headed for the metal recycler next fall (no earlier I hope!)

Stuart

Sometimes these reports can be a bit scary. The silicon and sodium is a sign the air filter is not doing its job and the oil filter isn't helping. Also, considering the engine with that mileage you are using the wrong oil. Now for an experiment! Change the oil and filter. Use something with a higher viscosity such as the Mobil 1, 15w-50. Get a good high performance oil filter such as the M1-205, (yes I'm partial). Replace the air filter and clean the air inlet tract as much as possible. Do the test again at 2,000 miles. You should see much improved values.

Dennis