Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:49:53 -0400
From:         Tom Buese <tantonbz@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Difference between syncro & 2wd bumper connections for
              hitches?
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

I am basing my remarks on an early Westfalia trailer that I towed to CA from Utah for a client- The trailer's hitch would accept about 1 5/8" dia (41 mm) & since I couldn't get a ball that small, I actually ground down a 1 7/8" ball so that the trailer hitch would fit! Only took about 30 minutes on my bench grinder!

YMMV,

Mr. BZ

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Tom, > > I thought the ball on euro hitches were 50mm diameter. Close enough to 2 > inches (50.8mm). > > alistair > > > On 2013-06-06, at 7:32 AM, Tom Buese wrote: > > > Thanks for all the responses, but I still don't know if there is any > > structural difference to the rear bumper or bracket mounting points in > the > > syncro vs. 2 WD models. My syncro bumper has a notch out in the bottom > of > > the bumper where a hitch might have been installed at 1 time, & this is > > similar to the notch in my 2 WD bumper for the OEM ? hitch which came on > it. > > I also don't want to use a tow loop attachment bumper which it appears > that > > many of the less expensive vendor's models use. 2" receiver hitch would > be > > nice- I could get the GW rear bumper w/ 2" receiver hitch if they were > > available- I'll have to relook at Dennis' hitches again- I forgot about > > those! > > The Westfalia hitches (1 5/8" dia. +-), are trey cool, & available in > > Europe & mucho dinero, but don't suit my purposes for ball size etc. in > > the US (1 7/8-2" dia). > > > > YMMV, > > > > Mr. BZ-so many options, so few decisions > > > > > >

-- Tom Buese