Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 2013 12:11:15 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Fire in Alaska-Propane tanks!
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

-----Original Message----- From: mcneely4@cox.net [mailto:mcneely4@cox.net] Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:58 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; Dennis Haynes Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Westy Fire in Alaska-Propane tanks!

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > The propane on board the Westy can also be a hazard and in the event > of a fire can make things real bad. > Last weekend I attended the Busses near Natural Bridge event in Virginia. > On the way home I stopped at a Flying J and decided to fill the > propane tank. The tank is original and it was painted-undercoated in > the past. To begin with we had trouble with the fill valve. Took care > of that! As the tank was filling at just over a gallon a rust spot > popped off the tank revealing a nice size pin hole allowing liquid > propane to escape. Nothing to be done except allow it to escape. The > fire department responded, the station was partially shut down etc. > Thankfully everything in the van was shut off and since the tank was > small it vented out in about an hour. Let's just say it was an event. > Luckily nothing ignited. Four fire trucks and a lot of people were > there just in case. > > Lessons learned! > Do not paint the tanks with anything thick. You want to see if any > rust is forming. > If the tanks are allowed to go empty it is possible for them to get > moisture inside and rust from the inside out. > If any doubts take them off and have them pressure tested or replace > when needed. > Regularly test fittings, valves, and regulators etc. for leaks and > proper operatio

It was a volunteer department. They took my information. I have not been requested of anything yet.

A good reason to have good insurance including comprehensive. Stuff happens!

Dennis

Dennis, were you or your insurance company responsible for the cost of the fire department response? Or does the fire department just pay the cost itself?

Yes, lesson learned here, too. Make sure the tank and all associated parts are suitable for use. mcneely

> > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > Behalf Of Dave Christensen > Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:45 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Westy Fire in Alaska > > My old department respond to this one last Sunday. It was a total > loss. No definite cause, but I wouldn't think twice about a fuel leak

> from what I heard. > > Condolences to the owner. > > http://sewardcitynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Vehicle-fire-600x > 398.jp > g > > Dave > '83 Diesel Westfalia - 'Gus' > Flagstaff, AZ > Bear Creek, AK > > Sent while mobile.

-- David McNeely