Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 2013 22:46:09 -0400
From:         Ed McLean <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wheel bearings

The front wheel bearings are pretty simple. You can reuse the peened axle nut if you want or buy new ones as recomended by the Bentley manual. I recently replaced my front axle nuts with the split axle nut from a 911 Porsche. This allows adjusting bearing preload at any time without repeening the nut. Check the archives here or in the SubaruVanagon Yahoo list for my write up.

To remove the 46 mm rear axle nut, don't use the cheap flat steel hammer wrench that all the vendors sell. Buy a 1 13/16" 3/4" drive socket (about $14 from NAPA) and borrow a 3/4" drive breaker bar (from Autozone or a friend) and use a 2 to 3 ft long cheater pipe. The nut will come off smooth as butter. Be sure to have the wheel resting on the ground to do this. You can retorque the nut on reassembly by dividing the required assembly torque (360 ft lb I think) by your body weight. Gently stand on the wrench this far out (in feet) on the cheater bar. The nut will then tighten to the exact torque required. Don't bounce on the bar, simple steady pressure is all that is needed. Do have the wheel resting on the ground to do this or you won't be able to keep it from turning. If you try to use the cheap flat steel wrench and. a hammer, you will probably end up hitting your rim, a lug bolt, or the axle threads and make a mess of whatever you hit. You will also have no idea how tight the nut is on replacement. See my note in the archives either here or in the SubaruVanagon Yahoo list.

Wheel bearings are pretty easy to repack. Just follow the directions in the Bentley manual, use quality bearings, quality grease of the proper type (synthetic is good), and keep things clean. Pack the bearings full of grease but don't try to pack all the open space in the hubs full of grease. If you do, when the bearings get warm grease will be forced out and contaminate your brake surfaces.

If you run into problems, ask the list. There are plenty of people that will be glad to help with your questions.

Good luck.