Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 2013 22:25:52 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel good idea?

For sure, there is no rush needed when driving a vanagon anywhere. Some (many?) places, however, you are considered a rolling traffic hazard when you are only driving at 75 or 80mph, and some places, if you happen to get onto the freeway you will not be allowed to change lanes...you must actively try to match the traffic and slide into any opening you see.. Not any of that is do-able in diesel NA vanagon, 'specially a Westie...

I could certainly manage a diesel westie in my daily driving in rural south central Washington state but I'd spend a lot of time on my westerly drives, where I encounter frequent headwinds in the 50-60mph range, and almost everywhere is UP from the Columbia River, which is at 35' above sea level just between Mt Adams and Mt Hood...I seriously considered the diesel vanagons, until I rode in a friends...It scared me. I thought it was dangerously underpowered. In a short 40mile trip east of San Diego in the mountains we were dangerously passed by perhaps 8-9 impatient and angry drivers who were not happy with our 15-20 mph pace.

I decided that while the Trip is just as important as the destination, sometimes....that I'd rather not spend all my free time on the trip...especially since I often travel long distances over repeat small roads with a goal in mind....a windsurfing destination, a weekend bike race, a load of lumber to retrieve, a horse show to attend...etc...I don't want to have to insure, fuel and maintain a whole other vehicle to drive when I feel like I want to average 55mph over a long distance or my route includes a mountain or an interstate...

I did my stint in a 36hp splitty...Smoked a lot and just sat back and waited...and shifted and waited and shifted....That AC splitty was a lot faster than a normally aspirated 1.6 vanagon, too. I'd say if you have a thick skin and don't mind impeding the rest of the drivers, or you have two vehicles and use your Vanagon for special outings...OK..diesel....but I decided to pass and went with something a bit more powerful.