Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 2013 10:45:23 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driving a Vanagon or any RV fast. Wheel sizes.
Comments: To: Frank Romano <fromano99@GMAIL.COM>

It is not the size of the wheel that matters. What is the tires size? The diameter/radius/circumference of the tire is what determines the revolutions per mile. You can get 20 inch wheels and still have tires smaller than the original 25.5 inches.

The weak link in the water boxer is oil temperature and the resulting effects on oil pressure. The 1.9L is challenged as there is no oil cooler. While the 2.1 has an oil cooler(?) the increased stroke makes that even more necessary. If all is well and you are traveling on normal roads with normal loads you should be OK from 3,800 to 4,200 rpm. That gets you into the low 70's range. You want to careful to use an adequate oil and do not overfill. The top mark on the stick is NOT the full mark. It is the maximum do not exceed no matter what mark. Oil temperature and pressure gauges will give you a lot of information. Then of you do a lot of long distance driving and tend to drive fast an oil cooler will be next.

Dennis