Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:32:51 -0700
From:         Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driving a Vanagon or any RV fast.
Comments: To: Frank Romano <fromano99@GMAIL.COM>

Like Dennis I grew up with air-cooled VWs. I learned to drive stick on an old bug of my brother's, then took my driving test in a 78 diesel Rabbit. I guess I am just used to not going all that fast. My 87 2wd keeps up with traffic nicely except on hills. Then I move to the right and just try to stay out of the way. Much of my driving practice was in the very steep Sierra Nevada mountains of California. When I had a 82 tintop Diesel vanagon we would go to Reno from the Bay Area on a regular basis. Talk about slow pulling the grades! I would stay in the truck lanes and move out of the way back into the car slow lane when a truck came up behind me. The truck drivers would usually wave; unbelievable that I was slower than some of the fully loaded guys!

Our 87 Syncro seems slower than my 2wd (now my son's daily driver). That is likely in part because my husband put the BFG 15" off road tires on it. But our work schedules are so crazy now I don't go to the Sierras or anywhere else where I have to pull much of a grade so I just don't worry about it. I'll admit that I am not too comfortable sometimes in the slow lane when people come up behind me fast as happens frequently in the very urbanized area where I live. People drive fast and have limited patience around here (SF Bay Area).

Donna, 87 syncro