Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 2013 19:41:38 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Victor Reinz full gasket kit concern (2.1 wbx)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a known issue or even an important one, but I discovered something about the oil pump cover gasket in the Victor Reinz full gasket kit.

I've just finished a head replacement in my old 2.1 engine. I replaced the oil pump cover gasket during the process. I measured the clearance of the pump gears to be between 0.002" and 0.003" so I elected to use the gasket instead of going commando as Tencentlife on the Samba has recommended. I did use the correct gasket, I did not mix up the front and rear gaskets.

So when I finally started the engine I had very low oil pressure. Cold idle was 25 psi, cold max pressure was 60 psi. When hot, oil pressure was close to zero, max was 25 psi. With oil temp >80C, and at 2000 rpm, oil pressure was 25 psi.

You can imagine my concern.

I pulled the engine carrier, muffler, and damn skid plate (its a syncro) to get at the oil pressure relief valve. I was grasping at straws you understand, and I pulled the spring and piston (no, the piston was not stuck). The spring was 59.3mm long. There are threads the Samba that gave me the hope that perhaps shimming (in lieu of a new spring) the spring would boost pressure a little. I made a shim from brass which added 3mm to spring length.

I re-connected muffler (supported on jack stands) and started engine. I got 30 psi cold at idle, max 75 psi. Hot pressures were 7-10 psi idle, 45 psi max, and just shy of 20 psi at 2000 rpm.

Improved but still not right. A new filter added maybe 2 psi to all values.

Oh, I should mention I was using 15w-40 oil, my winter oil.

Then I pulled the cover from the oil pump. I was *this* close to putting it back on sans gasket, but I decided to use a 0.004" gasket I got from local mechanic. I did not have this gasket before.

Ok, added a little grease to pump gears (to help in priming), all the other things all put back on, coolant replaced, oil replaced.

Engine start... cold pressures: idle 70 psi, max 90 psi. Hot pressures, idle 20 psi, max 60 psi, a solid 30 psi at 2000 rpm.

(engine is old, only the heads were replaced, case not split)

I'm happy with these pressures.

So back, finally, to the gasket. I measured the gasket I removed and it was 0.011" thick. The back of the pump gasket (unused) was 0.012" thick.

It looks like, at least in the kit I got, the thicknesses of the rear and front gaskets for the oil pump were the same.

I don't know if this is a mistake on the part of Victor Reinz, but in my case the thick gasket resulted in very poor oil pressure.

I hope this helps someone,

cheers

alistair