Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jun 2013 08:33:13 -0500
From:         raceingcajun <raceingcajun@COMMUNICOMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Compression test - cold engine or warm engine?  PLUS USED CAR
              BUYERS TIP!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

While Dennis is right about compression should be checked on a "warm" engine. I would add, that the engine should not be at "running" temperature! I was in a hurry and did this once on an engine I had just pulled in from a road test, I knew which cylinder was missing, so I pulled that plug and ran the test on that hole only. When I ran the test, The compression "air" was so hot it burned/melted the seals in my tester. On this peculiar tester in was only a "shradder valve", and cheap and easy to replace. But on some high dollar testers it might be a more expensive proposition. I might add another point, when doing the test, you want a fully charged battery, you should pull all the plugs, plus block the throttle opened! One more thing, you should disconnect the power (+) to the coil. Coils be mean and will bite! Don't forget what my Daddy called the used car buyers, "side of the road compression test". When road checking a used car for a potential purchase , and you suspect might have a burnt valve or what ever. Stop in a safe place, pull the coil wire, crank the engine over. Notice the sound it makes. When a cranking engine comes to a cylinder with low or no compression, the sound it makes wont be even, it will "Skip" and speed up slightly at the cylinder in question. This makes a very noticeable sound as the starter load changes, it speeds up and slows down at the low drag cylinder. While this wont tell you which hole is bad, it will wave a flag, letting you know further tests are required, and should help push the price down and save $$$$$$ ! We also have the wet or dry compression test, along with the leak down test. All these tricks/tests are great engine condition information givers, and should be in your arsenal of tools, mental and otherwise!.

Ah the world of automobile LUV! OK........... RAINY SUNDAY MORNING, TIME FOR A KNAP!

Howard