Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 2013 03:20:04 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: push rod tube seals
Comments: To: MICHAEL H <vwdash80@YAHOO.COM>

At 02:27 AM 6/11/2013, MICHAEL H wrote: >David - thanks for the encouragement. all fingers and both thumbs still intact

Haha, I actually meant if you can do things by feel without having to have your eyes on them. <g>

> so I'll be diving in at weekend.

Suggest getting a look at the adjusting screws early, 'cause if the ends are pounded unevenly you'll have to get new ones or clean up the ends of the existing ones. The too-large ends hang over one side of the valve stem so you end up with a little mountain range on that side. My engine and Gary Anderson's '85 both exhibited this so I suspect it's common. Note that as soon as you touch the rocker arm bolt-up you have to adjust them all, ATB.

> the line drawings are adequate to a point and no mention of the > seating of the rod into the lifter.

There's a throwaway line, first sentence of 15.24 ("guide pushrod carefully into socket..."), same page as a decent drawing of the lifter end showing contours.

>was hoping for a balance all of the rods on a popsicle stick while >fitting the arm assembly kind of salvation. knew it wasn't possible >, but, knowing where the bull's eye is should make it an easier shot.

There may be a magic trick, I just don't know about it if so. The trick, if you will, is keeping the active awareness of the status of all four rods in mind at every instant. If you lose track of one or have doubts about it you have to slack off until it's loose enough to check the position again. I have the above-mentioned good hands with eyes in the fingertips, and as I recall (from 10+ years ago) I found it a careful job requiring thoughtful awareness and patience and willingness to backtrack, but not a frustrating one. My fingers are advising me that they remember how to do it and would be happy to do it again.

> take care, be well and

You too, mate.

Yrs, d