Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jun 2013 17:51:00 -0700
From:         Jeremy Stovin <jjstov@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Cruise control, continued.
Comments: To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Catching up for those who missed it.

Trying to figure out why my CC is not working. Went to diagnose it as per the Bently manual, remove the instrument cluster and find things are not like the manual says it should be. The switch on the steering wheel looks original, but found the following control box in the dash.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1069987.jpg

I called my favorite shop and they suggested I bring the instrument cluster as it sounds like the CC plug into the speedo is missing. Meanwhile it is speculated that this CC is the replacement CC from when there was a recall on the original.

I bring it in, with the photo I showed, and they tell me it was not the replacement, it was some aftermarket job, he had never seen in like before. He noted that the strip that would have plugged into the Speedo was cut, so it does not use the speedo to keep the speed. He suspected there was a magnet on a flywheel on the rear axle.

I go home and first, noting that there is a power light, before I put the cluster back on, I check and power still appears to go on. Now to the rear axle, nothing, so I check the engine, thinking I can trace back from the throttle, I do that, and find a cable and trace it to a box at the rear of the compartment. It is labelled Speed Control, Electronic Servo. I see a bundle of wires that look like the would lead up to the front to the control box.

Not sure where to go from here. I really do not have the $$ to plunk on a replacement.

Any idea what I can check? Anybody see this type of CC before and can offer any info on this?

Thanks!

Jeremy, '87 Westy GL

Sent from my iPad