Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:02:05 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC Question
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

I did the cheapo R134a FLAPS conversion on my '87 Westy after I got a two grand quote from a "reputable" shop on fixing the complete-but-blowing-hot A/C when I bought the van.  It needs a recharge once a year but is quite comfy when working right. Also, I was one of the first to remove the A/C plenum in the back to improve airflow.  Search "plenumectomy" on thesamba.com.  What actually happened was, I removed the Westy interior for soundproofing and rust proofing and when I put it back together I left the plenum off.  Felt like it was blowing much more air forward than it had before so I left it off.  No complaints, except for the rather unfinished look of that area now but that look is worth the improvement. That Samba thread even has contributions by one owner who went so far as to do numerous measurements of airflow and temp for his/her van with and without the plenum.  That was a lot of work to prove a point. Stephen