Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:02:33 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic-Condenser fan running!
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Dave, I have something in there similar to the slower -turning blade one you mention. Now working about 10 years. The original factory was noisy til it finally failed. It's like the one in my desk-top that is very quiet. I learned about fans while building computers. With dual batteries for 15 years I've never run down to the point of needing a jump.Another mod I learned from Karl Mullendore when he was visiting years ago was increasing the size of the flame spreader by 2 notches. Whether that actual is an improvement I can't say. I also put the fridge upside down 24 hours after I remove one, to burp it. If the stock fan works I leave it and just lube the bearings. Some of this info i got a long time ago from an article titled "Fridge Madness" The thermal paste has silver in it and comes in a tiny tube. Usually I find this switch screws are loose. I test run my serviced fridge from the vehicle" propane supply for a day before reinstalling. I've kept mine running for 17 years by periodical burn chamber maintenance, and cleaning the nozzle in denatured alcohol. Robert 1982 Westfalia > > Here's a tip for those servicing the fridge: Replace > the factory fan with a computer fan. They are brushless > type, use less amperage and are quieter. Lube the computer > fan bearing with light machine oil before installing. Peel > back the label and put one drop, then seal it over  > with the label. Use a small amount of thermal transfer > compound like the type used for computers between the > thermal switch and the fins. Robert 1982 Westfalia > > Hi Robert, > > I agree with the oiling technique, great way to get more > life out of a fan that's gotten sloppy.  I think using > compound under the thermostat button is overkill, but > there's certainly no harm in it.  But emphasis on very > small amount, as the paste itself is a lousy conductor and > should be in an almost invisible film to fill in > molecule-size gaps in the contact face.  Any more and > it starts working against you. > > On the fans, though, I have to disagree.  Typical box > fans draw more current**, move less air and make a nasty > whining noise because of their small high-speed > blades.  They're also inefficient in air moving because > of the small blades, which is why they have to spin so > fast.  They *can* be very quiet but only at the expense > of moving very little air > > The OE fan draws 50 mA, has a big slow-turning blade that > moves a lot of air quietly, and if you can more than just > barely detect it it's because the commutator has worn out > and gotten noisy.  The Fridgemate/Valterra fan designed > for the purpose is IMO a superior replacement with an even > larger blade (be sure the insulation clears it) and similar > 50 mA draw.  Here's a drawing how to modify the stock > bracket to fit it: http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/Fan_bracket.gif > > **I've never seen a box fan more than an inch in diameter > that drew less than 50 mA, and only one that drew that > little.  Even the ones the size of a quarter typically > draw 80 mA and move almost zero air.  I've got box fans > here ranging from 20 mm up through eight inches, including > ones that draw a quarter amp or more at 110 VAC.  I've > got a 3 1/2" 12V fan that draws almost three amps and you > can feel the thrust when you hold it, and a 40 mm one almost > 30 mm thick that spins at close to 20,000 rpm and has fixed > blades for the airflow to bounce off.  I've been in > love with box fans since Rotron invented them and called > them Muffin Fans.  But I've never seen one that I > thought was a really good replacement for the fridge > fan.  So sitting on my pile of oh say a hundred various > box fans I still paid $25 for a FridgeMate fan to fix my > Westy.  Box fans are by nature noisy pressure drivers, > and what the fridge wants is a quiet volume driver. > > Yours, > David >