Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:41:49 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cool roof paint on material for vanagon camper tops?
Comments: To: "Kevin P. Gilleran" <kevin@GILLERANENERGY.COM>

I don't live in a hot area, but I repainted the crazed white top on my '84 years ago. I used single stage (no clear coat) gloss automotive enamel in VW's Arctic White. It was beautiful! Last summer I painted the light brown top on my '85 with the same type of paint computer matched and with a low sheen to look more like the fiberglass top that it is.

You can get an HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight for about $40 that works just fine with any compressor for this job. I did my '84 on the van with careful masking and the seals removed, and the '85 was off, completely stripped down, and on sawhorses. Much easier! Then I installed all new SS fasteners, skylight hinges, luggage rack tie downs, gas springs, and seals.

Cost me about $300 in paint materials, professional auto paints are not cheap! A half pint (all you need) was $90, and then there is the sealer, catalyst, and thinners. Oh, and then another $300 for the new bits!

Stuart '85 Westy