Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:23:40 -0700
From:         David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC Question

I live in Phoenix, AZ and I keep the curtains snapped on all the time. Helps with upholstery fading too. I also have a windshield sun shade up whenever parked. The problem in this heat is they go all floppy and fall down. I also keep a white towel over the steering wheel just so I am able to hold the wheel as it gets too hot to touch otherwise. Anyone tried painting their roof white? -David (1987 Wolfsburg) --- On Tue, 6/11/13, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM> wrote: > From: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM> > Subject: Re: AC Question > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 6:49 PM > Supposed to be 112 tomorrow, and > somebody's predicting 117 next week.  Under these > conditions, if you're driving less than ten miles, closing > the windows and running AC in a Westy ain't worth it.  > After a while, the structures surrounding you start to lose > some of their heat, and within twenty minutes or so, you no > longer feel waves of heat radiating from every surface in > the van.  That's when AC starts to make a difference > here in Phx. > > Karl Wolz > Sent from my electronic umbilicus > > On Jun 11, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> > wrote: > > > If the air is reasonably cool and is moving it will > cool the interior.  I've heard that window tint makes a > huge difference but have no experience with that.  > Might take a little while starting off on a really hot day, > but I've been comfy heading west in late afternoon past a > bank thermometer that read 103F.  That was a hot night > camping, but the drive was great. > > As far as front A/C goes, there's been discussion of > that also but I'd bet you can get yours working as well or > better for much less money and hassle.  Incidentally, > there is an aircooled Westy with complete front A/C in a > junkyard near me here in central VA, or was there last > visit. > > Stephen > > > > --- On Tue, 6/11/13, Todd Last <rubatoguy@comcast.net> > wrote: > > > > From: Todd Last <rubatoguy@comcast.net> > > Subject: Re: AC Question > > To: "Stephen Grisanti" <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> > > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 7:09 PM > > > > #yiv402988875 p {margin:0;}Are there any similar mods > that can be done if you have a Westy without Plenum? The > problem I always found was that the heat coming from the > winshield always made you feel like the A/C was not working. > It seems that the issue is more a problem of airflow than > cooling capacity. > >  > > Did anyone ever try the add-on front A/C that was > talked about years ago as a supliument to the existing > system? > >  > > Todd > > '88 Westy > > > > > > > > > > > > From: "Stephen Grisanti" <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:02:05 PM > > Subject: Re: AC Question > > > > I did the cheapo R134a FLAPS conversion on my '87 Westy > after I got a two grand quote from a "reputable" shop on > fixing the complete-but-blowing-hot A/C when I bought the > van.  It needs a recharge once a year but is quite > comfy when working right. > > Also, I was one of the first to remove the A/C plenum > in the back to improve airflow.  Search "plenumectomy" > on thesamba.com.  What actually happened was, I removed > the Westy interior for soundproofing and rust proofing and > when I put it back together I left the plenum off.  > Felt like it was blowing much more air forward than it had > before so I left it off.  No complaints, except for the > rather unfinished look of that area now but that look is > worth the improvement. > > That Samba thread even has contributions by one owner > who went so far as to do numerous measurements of airflow > and temp for his/her van with and without the plenum.  > That was a lot of work to prove a point. > > Stephen > > > > --- On Tue, 6/11/13, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> > wrote: > > > > From: Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> > > Subject: Re: AC Question > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 6:46 PM > > > > ---- Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM> > wrote: > >> My understanding, for what it's worth: R134a > doesn't work nearly as well as R12 in an unmodified R12 > system.  Mods can run into some serious change. R134a > will work, as your guy says; just not as well as what you > have. > >> > >> Smarter listmembers than I may now comment ;-). > > > > Well, I'm certainly neither smarter nor more expert, > but .......... > > > > My understanding is that the Vanagon evaporator and > condenser are so large, that the difference in cooling power > is minimal with the two fluids.  But, the Vanagon air > movement system, and the giant box it is trying to cool > obviate all that.  My system works as well as it can, > and I have had a changeover to R134a.  However, to be > cool, I have to have the cold air (and it is quite cold, > once measured it but can't remember, though the air > conditioning guy said it was colder than expected) blowing > on me.  And since it blows from the rear, some > distance, we try to train all vents our way. > > > > I have read of removing the air plenum above the seat > for better air flow.  I have saved instructions, will > try to find if anyone wants them. > > > > mcneely > >> > >> Karl Wolz > >> Sent from my electronic umbilicus > >> > >> On Jun 11, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Jim Ogul <jimogul70@GMAIL.COM> > wrote: > >> > >>> My AC doesnt put out cold air on my 85 > Westy.  It was that way when I > >>> bought it.  It has R12 in it.  A > local shop tells me that what they do is > >>> evacuate the system and put in R134 and if the > system is ok it will work. > >>> I had always heard you have to get into the > system and modify it for R134. > >>> This local shop has a lot of experience and if > its that simple I'd rather > >>> go that way. > >>> > >>> Jim > >>> 85 Westy > > > > -- > > David McNeely >