Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:52:26 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cool roof paint on material for vanagon camper tops?
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

If you folks are speaking literally of "cool roof" coatings, we spent summer of 2011 redoing our 1928 townhouse metal roof with Hydro-Stop by Quest Building Products.  You can Google it for specs, but I can tell you that in August in Virginia at the worst time of the day you can walk barefoot on a metal roof coated with that stuff and the old silver roof paint or bare metal would burn your skin if you tried the same thing.

Attic temps were similarly affected.  Whereas we could barely breathe in the attic on a day like that before the coating, after the HS job the temp never exceeded 94F.  I think the reflectivity is 92%.

This might not be what you want on your Vanagon roof but it just might work to cool things down. Stephen