Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 2013 16:01:03 -0700
From:         Scott Ohana <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1987 "GetAway" Syncro Camper? (FS Vancouver BC) - VIN stuff
Comments: To: Ben <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

Candian model for sure, has a Maple Leaf as paort of the VIN on the door sticker. very very unmolested looking.

it was already starting to be stripped for parts when the guy bought it. No headliner, no dash, no seats, steering disconnected, engine hacked out with a sawzall... it was legit with Ca title etc. the cop even wrote somewhere on a form ..'hidden frame VIN is a derivative of the main VIN' , ( since the frame one had the Z's - same # just with Z's added )

On 6/9/2013 3:44 PM, Ben wrote: > All hidden VIN's have the ZZZ as far as I have seen/know. > > If the 'unmolested' door jamb sticker has a North American VIN (that is: no ZZZ), then it's a fairly safe bet it was imported for NA consumption. I would be very suspicious as to why the vehicle did not have a dash as that is a favored tactic used by black market importers (differentiated from grey market). The sticker can be reasonably easy to reproduce though quality is often spotty. > > > BenT > sent from my electronic leash > > On Jun 9, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Scott Ohana <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> fwiw , >> On the candian syncro Doka I registered for a guy, Oregon title etc.. >> >> the Canadian door frame VIN did not have ZZZ in it. >> We got it with no dash, so it didn't have any dash VIN. >> the frame VIN though, had the ZZZ's ... >> the State Police guy passed it. >> >> point is, I think, so far, only the seldom-seen frame VIN has the Z's in it.