Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:20:36 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Poptop assist
Comments: To: Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>

Al, have you done this? Sounds for sure like it would work. But if we have a bad leg as well as being old and weak, what are we supposed to do? What if we weigh just 100 lbs soaking wet (not me, but some folks)? mcneely

---- Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Poptop assist sling. (tm?). Using the old nylon climbing 1" webbing from > your YUP days, make a loop that will hang from the latch device on the roof > down low enough that when you must aid yourself in lowering the top. An > old SMC caribiner helps to hook the loop to the top. Now lower the top, > put your foot in the loop and use your weight to move the top down > carefully enough to not pinch the material. When the top is latched, > remove the sling and use for other purposes like your Mayan Hammock, > hanging your vintage Dietz Lantern, securing your bacon from the marauding > raccoons or your organic peanut butter from the squlls. Available in many > colors at your local high end sporting establishment (??) . Don't leave > home without one. But WAIT! there's more... > > REI and MEI have the stuff mail order. > > Pensionerd > > Good at hanging out > > > On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM, David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@verizon.net>wrote: > > > Hi Volks; > > I am considering a poptop assist unit. I have 2 questions/concerns. > > First off, I was wondering about lowering, The last foot or so of my > > poptop drop involves pulling in and carefully storing the canvas of one's > > top. I usually do this while holding the top up with my head (insert "well > > that's using your head" joke) while storing the canvas. My concern is I > > have heard that the poptop assisted tops come down with some force > > through that last foot or two. Does this make it any harder to hold up the > > top while storing canvas? Any thoughts on this one? > > My other question involves the best vendor/assist unit to purchase. I > > just e-mailed Ken at VanAgain to see what he has come up with, but I > > would like input from those who have used the assist units as to who is > > selling the best unit. It seems pretty simple, but as I have found out > > from those rear door lift pistons on a Westy, there are better ones and > > worse ones. > > > > Dave B. > >

-- David McNeely