Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:30:48 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ordering Parts Online

> I ordered a set of spark plug wires and the > part number showed wires with the metal heat protectors. > The ones I received did not have the metal heat protectors > They were put on and lasted 5000 miles before the heat > put holes in them and engine started to miss.

Allow me to fill in some of the blanks here.

First of all, to address the more general question, sometimes a picture may not be exact due to variations between suppliers, production runs, etc. We are a small retailer and don't have our own photo studio; most of our images are file photos provided by vendors. Product details can sometimes change even if the image supplied to us does not. As a result there may be differences that do NOT affect functionality (or, if it is a cosmetic item, cosmetics). This occurs on many e-commerce sites besides ours, from small ones all the way up to Amazon. Our current of Genuine Volkswagen plug wires used a ceramic/plastic shield. (I say "used" because we're down to 2 of these with no more expected in.) I will concede that the picture did not reflect that difference, although the difference did not affect the functionality of the wires. Of the hundreds we sold nobody even mentioned it, so frankly I hadn't even noticed until now.

That being said, if Bernie did have any concern about that difference, all he had to do was say so. We'd gladly have given him his choice of a refund or exchange. Instead he installed them and used them for the better part of a year. Only later, when he had an apparently unrelated problem, did he retroactively complain that the wires he'd been using all this time didn't match the picture. Even so, I still offered to replace them with his choice of any of three brands of wires (with or without metal protectors) for only the cost of postage. Honestly I think that was quite fair.

I say an "apparently unrelated problem" because not once in his correspondence to us did Bernie ever mention burn holes in the wires. He only said one wire had "failed" and his engine had a "miss." On the basis of that description alone I already offered him the exchange. His mention of "holes" above is the very first such mention. If these holes are through the heat protector, that is unquestionably a defect and we would even cover the postage as well. (I don't understand why he didn't say so in the first place.) However if the wire is burned elsewhere, not only does that have absolutely nothing to do with the heat protector, but technically it's not even a defect, as the wire should not be lying on the hot engine if properly dressed. (Remember, these were genuine VW wires, so it's not like we're talking about a poor quality part here that spontaneously combusts.)

We do our best to keep our images and descriptions accurate, despite constant changes in specifications and availability. It is a huge job that takes a good chunk of my time, and as hard as I try it will never be absolutely perfect. If you ever receive a part that looks different from what you were expecting, I'll gladly take it back (other than a few made-to-order items as noted on our site). Most of you have known me for many years on this List and can vouch for my fairness and honesty. I do, however, feel that it is fair to ask you to say so soon after receiving the item - not after using it for a long time.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT