Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:18:05 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Cooler

I have a Dometic RC2000 from a garage sale as well, bought years back. I've rarely used it at all but it works fine on propane when I do. I wouldn't run it on gas in a space I was planning to also sleep in but people do what they like. It warns about that on the rear label and I take the warning seriously. I think the Vanagon tends to be leaky enough that sufficient air usually exchanges to prevent waking up dead but I won't chance it. I got mine to use as an outside beverage fridge for hot weather camping. I also wanted to cool down fish I catch before putting the fish fillets into my inside fridge.

Mark

chris and/or ruth wrote: > I had the good fortune of finding a Dometic RC2000 mobile cooler (3-way) last weekend at a garage sale. Having owned one before I knew what it was immediately and snapped it up. I was kind of shocked seeing it amongst tables of baby clothes and kids toys. > > They do get warm when running off propane, AC not so much. I never really tried running on 12v. > You can run it off a 1lb bottle of propane for a weekend with the included adaptor/regulator--does the craigslist cooler have that? You could also connect to a regulated propane supply. > > Our previous Dometic cooler was used in our former '90 MV (no kitchen) and worked out well. You could make ice cubes in it over night. It was a bit bulky, but what cooler isn't? We kept it on top of a large chuck-box behind the drivers seat. Used it on gas inside--with ventilation, fumes were not an issue. These coolers seem much more common in Australia and are reasonably priced there.. I see Dometic compressor types have really come down in price too. > > I've entertained the thought of selling it but it's such a jewel of engineering and just plain cool. The last one we sold, I got burned on shipping ($65). > > Chris C3 > Wisc. >