Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:50:10 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Frig running.....-Refrigerator power consumption. 12 volt
              operation.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > Back in the RV refrigerators were often equipped to also run on 12 volts for safety reasons. There are many that feel it is un-safe to drive with the propane on and an open flame. Then there is the hassle or turning it off during refueling and remembering to turn it back on. I hat e to think of what could have happened when my tank sprung that leak if the fridge or stove was on. The newer larger RV refrigerators don’t even offer the 12 volt option. They advise turning the fridge off while traveling and keeping the door closed so things stay cold. They just need too much power on 12 volt.

The owner's book with my camper states unequivocally that the propane should be turned off when traveling. That is not just because of the active flame, but because if a line was ruptured in an accident, all hell would break loose.

But, we've been over this before, and some feel like it is not a safety concern, but that VW put that in the book only because they were lawsuit averse. I wonder what made them think they might get sued by someone who drove with the propane on?

mcneely > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Stuart MacMillan > Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:52 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Frig running.....-Refrigerator power consumption. > > Keep in mind the fridge was intended to run on 12v power only when the engine was running to conserve propane, that's why they installed the relay. I'd rather get propane every three or four days than a new battery every few months! Maybe if you covered the top with solar cells . . . > > Stuart > Fridgeless in Seattle > > McNeely wrote: > Some people wire the auxiliary battery in so that it will run the refrigerator when the engine is off. They hope to get an extra day without using propane that way. But it will drain the battery in a day or so. > > mcneely > > ----

-- David McNeely