Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:44:33 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: DIY Westy chuck box
Comments: To: Troy <colorworks@gci.net>

Troy, the gift was from my "significant other," and it was the only thing I requested when she asked me what I would like to have as a gift for christmas. So many people buy things of no value to the recipient. Boy, I don't know how many shirts that far from match my taste a sister-in-law has given me. And I love the woman, but she is just clueless that way. Oh well. mcneely

---- Troy <colorworks@gci.net> wrote: > I'm pretty sure that the P.E.T.T. brand of disposable bags has the very > chemical you talk of. I have a batch of them, but as mentioned, I rarely > even take along my reliance potti anymore. I think you're right that porta > potty is a registered trademark, just as Formica is to plastic laminate. > During my bathroom remodel, I used the reliance potti, and ended up adding > steer urine absorber which presumably is just limestone--cheap! Baking soda > seem to work okay, but it was still some pretty foul smelling stuff after a > day or two. I would think potti's like the Thetford actually contain the > odors, or so I'm told. I have no direct experience though. Lucky you, a > Christmas present of poo powder. Boy, the poo powder would really hit the > fan if I ever gave my significant other a gift like that for Christmas! > > Best, > > Troy > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: <mcneely4@cox.net> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>; "Troy" <colorworks@GCI.NET> > Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:45 PM > Subject: Re: [VANAGON] DIY Westy chuck box > > > > ---- Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET> wrote: > >> I do not have much experience with the various brands of potti's out > >> there, but I assume something like the thetford may actually be >odor > >> free? The whole idea of hualing around human waste, well.. let's just > >> say it doesn't exactly appeal to me. > > > > For odor free porta potti (isn't that actually a trade mark, rather than a > > generic? Oh well), the best thing I have found is a bucket, biodegradable > > plastic bags, Poo Powder (registered trademark), and something like rice > > hulls or excelsior to go with the Poo Powder. Poo Powder is > > Polyacrylamide with some deodorizing additives, which forms a gel when it > > absorbs liquid. The resultant material when it interacts with human waste > > is odor free, semi-solid, and the bag is legal to dispose of in public > > solid waste, or can be buried if in the wilderness. Polyacrylamide is the > > same stuff that is in disposable diapers. However, in the case of Poo > > Powder, the material interacts directly with both waste types and renders > > them relatively inoffensive. > > > > I do dispose of the bag as soon as possible. I have yet to learn if the > > Forest Service and NPS are ok with the bag going into a vault toilet, but > > even though the bag is biodegradable, I suspect not because it doesn't > > degrade immediately, and might clog the vacuum they use to empty the > > toilet. > > > > Google Poo Powder, you will find it for sale. My christmas present a > > couple of years ago was the largest sized tub sold retail. > > > > David McNeely >

-- David McNeely