Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:11:13 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fridge Fan

By design the fridge fan runs because it is too hot behind the fridge and the fan is supposed to push the heat out the top vents replacing it with cool air from the floor vent under the front door of the fridge. If the cabinet vent areas are partially obstructed then the heat will just get moved around and that won't be enough if the fridge is running a lot.

Computer fans are not quite the right thing for the job. The velocity of the moving air is what matters most and computer fans are not meant for that. The stock type fans blow air up through the fins and out the top vents better than computer fans of the same power consumption in my experience. (I also suggest NOT putting a fan inside the fridge if you camp where it is very hot)

What was the temp thermostat knob setting? On propane the fridge main burner should cycle on for a while and off for a while during the night and the fan should cycle on and off to match but lagging. If the setting is set to max it will run more and the fan will be needed more and both may run constantly. Understand that the setting does not affect how high the main burner flame is. All it does is determine how often and how long the main burner turns on. In hot weather the burner may run constantly even with the knob set nowhere near coldest. Thus setting the adjustment too cold will just make it run longer into the night as it tries to catch up with the setting. Then it may freeze food during the night, at least all of mine would.

Getting the most out of the stock fridge involves some thought and care. If that is not something you are willing or able to learn and live with then one of the all electric replacements might be a better option. That brings different concerns into play but at least you can throw stuff into that kind of fridge without much thought, until the battery dies.

Mark

J B wrote: > I know there have recently been threads on the dometic fridge cooling fan but wanted to share my most recent experience. Camped at Castaic Lake campground this past week where temps were over 100 degrees during the day. Now I understand the cooling fan is normally on during these times but it was also running almost the entire night as well. The fridge was running off propane and the outside temps during the night were in the 70's. Has anyone else experienced the fan being on almost constantly for 2 days? Does anyone have any pics of secondary cooling fans they have set-up or should I look into replacing my existing original fan?? > The food in the fridge was still relatively cold...should I even worry at all? > > Oh and updated my blog with our latest trip to Lake Castaic campground which I don't recommend at all....feel free to take a look > > http://1981vwcamper.blogspot.com/ > > Thanks - John. >