Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:55:44 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Multimeter Recommendations
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>

Hi Anthony,

At 03:05 PM 6/15/2013, Anthony Egeln wrote: >This is a tools post, so I hope the mods approve it off-Frydae.

[hat] Ahem. This is on-topic, but if you had doubts the way to resolve them is to ask us, not to post it with a confession. Five strokes with a damp noodle for you, mijneer! [/hat]

> The recent post on an LED voltmeter got me thinking about buying a > multimeter. On Amazon they have them both digital and analog, > ranging in price from under $10 to close to $200 (Fluke brand).

I have two fancy digital meters (Fluke and Hickock), a couple "old standard" analog meters (Triplett) and three or four cheapo digitals. I also have a clamp-on -->DC<-- ammeter from Sears. They all have their places.

Very few meters have the high-amps range fused. My Fluke does, and the fuses cost $7.50 each. SOME DAY YOU WILL TRY TO MEASURE VOLTS WITH THE METER SET UP FOR AMPS. My record is about five minutes after getting my first meter as a present, age ten or so. In the fifty+ years since I've probably done it about a dozen times. You'll be a lot less unhappy if it's a ten-dollar special that goes up in smoke. I actually repaired the internal shunt on my $7.50 Little Yellow Meter, and the case hadn't melted too badly. Still working for me.

> Of course, Harbor Freight has quite a few as well. Would anyone > care to make a recommendation on a mid-range price tool? Not too > cheap but not the very expensive professional quality.

I recommend at least one of the little yellow $7 jobbies, and a fancier one to back it up if you feel like it.

>Digital vs. analog?

For most purposes these days you'll be better off with a digital meter if you only have one. Even cheap digitals are probably better than +/-1% on the DC voltage ranges.

The least you can get is a 3-1/2 digit display that shows 0.000 to 1.999. Fancier ones will show up to 3.999 or 3.999 or 4.999 (aka 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 count display).

On analog meters accuracy is specified in +/- per cent of full scale (!). On digitals it's +/- per cent of reading, +/- a certain number of display digits.

> Ranges?

For the van you need: 200 mVDC 20 VDC 2000 mA DC 10 A DC (20 A is even better)

Continuity beeper. N.B. all continuity beepers are not created equal and none of them will tell you that you have a good connection. Your meter spec will say, but typically they sound off for anything less than 50-150 ohms.

Diode check. It would be nice if the maximum voltage was at least three (my Fluke is 5) but typical ones are two or less. Higher voltages let you check LEDs -- red ones are typically around 1.8 V and other colors higher.

That's all you actually need for everyday Vanagon stuff. Plus alligator clips for the probe ends, a couple tee-headed pins, and twenty feet of wire with a clip on one end.

Notice I left out ohms ranges. Your meter will have them but they're not much use on the van. The kinds of resistance that you really need to measure on the van are those at contacts and connectors, and they're much too low to be measured by any normal multimeter. That's where your 200 mV range comes in. You energize the circuit of interest, and with its normal current flowing through it you measure the voltage drop across the suspect connection. You have in effect invented an ohmmeter specifically tailored for the actual circuit you're testing; and it gives the answer directly in terms of the effect on that particular circuit which is what you care about anyway.

> What else to look for, or cautionary lessons written in blood or > wasted scarce dollars.

Make sure your toolbox/carry around meter won't turn itself on because something pressed the button. Ones with a rotary knob for power are better that way.

Very nice to have, no order of preference: Bar graph auxiliary display, responds much faster than the digital readout which is typically 2-3 per second. Display illumination AC rejection on DC ranges and vise versa. Most digital meters do this. AC+DC readings -- high end only. Automatic time-out, even better if you can disable it (high-end only for that last). Display hold button Min/Max reading *Fast* Min/Max -- high end only. Catches very brief excursions with lower accuracy. Delta (hit the button and the reading goes to zero, then shows changes up or down from that level). Type K thermocouple range, even better if it comes with the thermocouple and adaptor. That's a tiny bead on the end of a skinny wire that can measure high temps.

To auto-range or not:

Auto-ranging meters are either very convenient or a bleeding nuisance depending what you're doing. Make sure you can turn off the auto-ranging if present.

Panel jacks:

Meters come wired two ways. Most but not all use a separate jack for the current ranges

Other stuff: Frequency counter - can use as a tach by converting the readings. Pulse duty cycle Capacitor ranges Transistor checker Data logging Rugged construction Industrial voltage ratings -- category III and IV

> It would be good to have one tool for both vanagon and household use.

AC volts and resistance ranges are useful in the house. Any meter has them. The cheapest ones sometimes have only two AC ranges, instead of duplicating the DC ranges. AC current can be handy but it's really too dangerous for ordinary usage. Better to get a clamp-on meter with a cord adapter if you care about measuring AC current loads.

For AC work it's good to also have:

A solenoid-type voltage tester like electricians use. It puts a load on the line so you won't be misled by stray leakage voltages, and the spring-loaded plunger pulls down to indicate the voltage range.

A non-contact voltage detector. It's a pen-shaped instrument (Greenlee and others) that will detect the presence of >/= 50 VAC in close proximity to its end (which is shaped to insert into a wall socket but can wave next to anything).

The other REALLY handy meter for the van:

A clamp-on meter that measures DC amps. Mine's from Sears, Roebuck. These only appeared a few years ago, whereas AC clamp-on meters have been around for decades. It will also do your AC current measurements for the house. If you only have $75 to spend, put $65 into this one and $7.50 for the little yellow meter and have enough left for the tax. Mine also does volts and ohms, but it's not really a good general-purpose meter. But it really shines at its main job.

Yours, David