Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:06:13 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: refrigerator behavior
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis, the exhaust vent was warmish but not hot like when the refrigerator is running on propane. After I relit it (if that is what I did, David says it had probably relit itself already, if it had actually gone out), it got hot.

I always level the van. I have two levels installed, one on the door, one on the dash, to rough level it, then I check with a carpenter's spirit level both ways. I used to carry 2x6 timber pieces for the purpose, but bought plastic leveling blocks from an RV place. Work great, a bit lighter than the pine blocks I was using.

Thanks, mcneely

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Easy way to check if the fridge is lighted is by feeling the exhaust vent. When the flame goes out it cools off quickly. The fridge should remain lighted while traveling especially at slow speeds. The Van-fridge needs to be fairly level front/rear for the fridge to work. Parked off level can also damage the refrigeration section. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dave Mcneely > Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 1:16 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: refrigerator behavior > > Bonnie and I had a great weekend camping excursion with our 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile. > > We went to NE Oklahoma Ozarks. First, we visited a blueberry farm, where we picked enough blueberries to last us till next year after we freeze them (my job today). Then we drove to a place on private property where we have permission to camp, and where we have access to a beautiful Ozark stream filled with Smallmouth Bass and other cool water species. I had a great time wade fishing for them with an ultra light spinning rig. I probably caught 75 fish in about six hours total fishing over 2 days. Of course, all but six of those I released. The six made for a wonderful supper, breakfast, and lunch for the two of us. > > Had an oddity with the refrigerator that I think I understand, but just checking with you guys. > > While at the berry farm, I put the refrigerator on propane, after driving over with D.C. setting. Refrigerator was very cold, with frost on the cooling fins. > > When we left the farm, I did something I never do and have advised against. I drove to the creek location (about 5 miles on local roads) without switching back to D.C. Some time later, Bonnie was getting something from the refrigerator, and she said, "David, the refrigerator is warm." I checked all I could think to check. Propane valve was open, LED was glowing green, propane switch in the box was pushed in, indicator lamp was off, setting was on maximum, on-off knob for propane was turned on. Fuse was ok. Refrigerator was warm. > > By rotating the dial for setting level, I could cause the LED to go off, and the flickering indicator lamp to come on. So, I went through the process of restarting the refrigerator, but of course, not being able to trust the two indicators that normally show that it is operating. I have never been able to see the blue flame in the peepsite, and that was true this time, also. > > In an hour the refrigerator was cold again. > > What happened? I believe the flame blew out when I was driving, but I don't know that. > > mcneely >

-- David McNeely