Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:37:39 +0000
From:         Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      VW summer roadtrip planning, Quebec,
              Saguenay Fjord St lawrence whales

Anyone been in or live in the area with some helpful tips? One can only research so much from the web, and I'm looking for great places to picnic or get fresh food along the way in Quebec.

Any help is much appreciated. I have a Samba post here to collect some links and images. Will post a trip report after we're back, if we make it back that is..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560667

Headed out next week at the 4th of July with my 71yr old mom and a couple friends (3 VWs) from Syracuse, NY to Saguenay Fjord in the northern St lawrence river. then returning back via New Hampshire's White Mtns and into Vermont to hit West River Westies saturday july 13th before returning home. expecting at least 1800miles over 11days. Too short too quick I know, but conside rhti the 1st of more trips into these Canadian wonders. The trip route. A big figure 8 http://tinyurl.com/vw-saguenay-2013

are there any must see or to-do's in the area? anyone out in the semi remote beautiful part of the countryside?

I'll update this with travel fun and pics when (if?) we return

Day 1 Planning to stay at Robert Moses State park and drive under the Eisenhower locks

day 2 4th of July, cross the border in the morning Trying to pass around Montreal w/o traffic troubles but take the north shore roads to Quebec, Qc. Staying at a Municipal camping in Beauport, Qc near the Chutes Montmorency (taller than Niagara) and seeing a little Quebec city the evening we arrive

Day 3 tour Quebec City see the Aquarium, old port district, plains of Abraham, get lunch from the Market

Day 4 Taking the north shore roads. head to Tadoussac at the mouth of the Saguenay Fjord, camping at Essipit Innuit campground with a view of the St Lawrence.

Day 5 Tour more north along the St lawrence along the Whale Route to spot whales from the shore and see the rugged shoreline of the St Lawrence seaway.

Day 6 Taking a boat tour up the Saguenay Fjord to view the majesty from the water.

Day 7 head up to Lac St Jean along the Saguenay to the historic town Val Jalbert

Day 8 tour Val Jalbert, then leave for La Maurice National park via Rt-155 thru the Quebec backwoods. maybe lunch in La Tuque if they'll allow my poor french

Day 9 is a long one of backroads thru small towns in the Frontenac region headed back to USA. hopefully crossing at the northern tip of New Hampshire on Rt3 and down the north woods of NH. headed to Moosebrook, State park in Gorham, NH just north of the White Mtns. we found this small town and campground charming during the summer busy season. and still easy access tot he White Mtns and Mt Washington valley regions. not overrun.

Day 10 is a shorter driving day but seeing more sights in the Mt Washington valley, Conway, and the White Mtns before setteling in White Lake state park near Ossipee, NH, Maybe take a pass on the Kanc scenic highway but it's soo much better in the fall.

Day 11 head across NH to Vermont and to West River westies. plan to get there in time for the pot luck, but will likely miss the floatilla.

Day 12 head home via Bennington, VT. maybe a stop at the Hemmings museum after brunch at Papa Pete's ( http://www.benningtonmenus.com/papa_petes_menu.pdf )

If you've read this far Thanks and happy travels Dan Stevens Empire State VW camping club Syracuse, NY