Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jun 2013 00:26:21 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Brakes
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

Rear brakes do a lot more ten just keeping the rear in place, especially on the Vanagon. Those 10" diameter X 2" wide shoes offer a lot of surface area.

New Drum shoes will take a while to seat and provide full braking action. If the drums are worn oversized there will be less contact area until the shoes wear at the top so more of the material can contact the drum. As I've mentioned in the past most of the aftermarket shoes now available for the Vanagon do not have the proper lining thickness so only part of the shoe will ever reach the drum. The fix is to shim out the lower shoes rests. Today I tried a set of Raybestos shoes, (new). Along with new drums I was only able to add 2mm of shims to the lower rests. Usually I can add 3 or 4, more with worn out drums. Check the archives. I have written about the proper set up of the rear brakes a number of times. Set up is critical for the brakes to work properly, especially for the self-adjusters.

Dennis

Rear brakes are there just to keep the rear end from passing the front end when you brake. Don't know the exact balance, but it's probably over 60% in the front, that's why they only put discs there. There is also a lot more metal in the drum to dissipate heat. Sounds normal to me. Others will comment.

Stuart