Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:29:19 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar Power
Comments: To: J B <jbever@excite.com>

I don't think that will be quite enough to do what you describe. I have something similar....without going through your links and doing a bunch of math....I charge about the same stuff and have an under-seat sized coach battery and a similar sized solar panel.....It is often sufficient but not always...I camp off the grid a lot but I also drive my van almost every day, which is helpful to the charge...but if I spend significant time on my computer or listen to too much radio...my aux battery goes low...I had an inverter that really didn't work well with this set up, now I use only 12v stuff with adapter plugs...though I do have the inverter along just in case...inverters aren't that effective, it seems...

Anyhow, if you don't mind sometimes having to start your engine to top up the aux battery, you can probably get by with the panel you mention and the battery...but it will be 'just most of the time' if your usage is similar to mine, which it sounds like might be the case. Still, it's nice to have it simple and small...I don't get too bothered if I can't do something electrical every time.... "right now" , without sometimes firing up the van... You can always add more solar panel at a later time.