Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:21:57 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Solar Power
Comments: To: jbever@EXCITE.COM

<<Hi everyone. I was hoping to get feedback and ideas from anyone that has loo= ked into a solar panel set-up for their Vanagon.

I have done some research and would like to find a panel that would fit in t= he luggage rack of my Westy which measures approx 19"x45". I don't use the l= uggage rack and would prefer using it rather than the pop-top roof.>>

I don't have your specific setup or know of anyone who has a setup that goes in the luggage rack, but like Robert I can tell you what I've done, and some things to consider.

First off, if it's really hot outside you will probably be looking for a shady spot for the van, and that's not a good for a solar collector. What makes a lot more sense is to get yourself a removable collector that you can put in the sun with say a good 50 foot cord back to the van that sitting in the shade. Quite a few people have recommended this setup and, for good reason.

I do store my solar panel, like Robert up in the upper bunk, but you have to unfold the bed to get to it, and would much prefer this to be up on the roof, but removable. And since this is a solar collector, it would be nice for it to be doing a little bit of work whenever I'm outside. You will actually improve your gas mileage a little bit if your alternator is not having to work so hard to produce current, and it's just a good thing to keep those batteries topped up. If the temperatures are not too bad, when you pull into your campsite you may have to do absolutely nothing, and you've got charging happening. I put a little grommet into my slanted firewall underneath the rear seat that I can remove and run my cord to my solar collector. The controller itself is also under the seat, and everything has quick connectors. It's pretty quick, but not perfect.

Again I would prefer to get mine up on the roof, but need to look around a little bit more for a system that allows for removal or design something myself. I think Arizona wind and sun is a good place to look for solar stuff. The universal batteries are outstanding, so I think the one you mentioned is a good choice if 50 amp hours is adequate for your needs. Remember you probably don't want to run that down much more than 50%, so you've really got about 25 amp hours, so pull out some scratch paper and write down the usage of all the items you are considering, and how long they will be running, etc. Don't rely on solar completely either, as you're going to get those overcast days. Manufactures tend to be a bit optimistic on their ratings too, so something else to consider. And even if you get 25 amp hours when the battery is brand-new, you probably won't get that in year two, and definitely not in year three or four.

I have 125 amp hours in one battery, and then an additional 44 amp hours in two other batteries. The only drawback to multiple batteries is if one goes bad it can start to drain some of the other batteries. A way to disconnect and isolate for testing purposes is a good thing. I much prefer to have one large battery under the rear seat as the main. I do have some smaller universal 22 amp hours batteries that plug-in with Anderson power pole connectors to the main, and this allows me to remove them from the van, which has come in handy for all kinds of things. I found a small padded laptop case by case logic holds one of these 22 amp hour batteries nicely, and I use it pretty frequently to run my pump for my inflatable kayak. I've also used it for a transfer pump for water, and you would be amazed how many uses you find for a small portable battery.

I think that list member rocket squirrel has a pretty nice write up on solar power, so do a Google search and you will find his article. You probably want to look at a MPPT controller, and he talks about battery usage, considerations, etc. it should give you a lot of information you're after.

Best,

Troy