Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:23:13 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Awning question
Comments: To: ecaron1@COMCAST.NET

I have the smaller awning unit that I've been using for a number of years now. This was before the larger one came out, and would probably go that route if I was to replace it as it's on the small side. I replaced the two front poles with some telescoping poles from Cabela's. I think the hardest part of assembling this awning are the way the front legs interconnect to the top rails. I know you asked about the jack point mounting, but I know it wouldn't be long before I would be tripping over those things, and just didn't feel they would be as secure in a wind. I think these only work with the smaller awning as well, but not positive on that. I have no direct experience there, so perhaps others can chime in on that one.

Are the awnings a problem in the wind? Absolutely! If the wind started picking up too much, I take the awning down. I don't think any other awning would withstand strong wind either. If you want something to hold up against strong winds, then take a look at the side tent. I would bet it could take a 40 mile an hour wind if it was staked down properly. It takes more like 15 or 20 min. to set up and of course, is much bulkier, heavier, etc.. In short, a completly different animal. I think the awning itself is a good value, and sets up in about 4-5 min., particularly if you're not dealing with those front legs. I like the fact you can then stretch out the ropes, and put a couple of stakes in the ground to kind of secure things a bit better. Bus depot now has screens and sidewalls, which makes this even more versatile.

I would buy some of the plastic "dip it" or similar brand name that is used to apply rubber coating to tool handles and such, and use that on the clamps. Perhaps the bus depot will offer a vinyl coated clamp sometime in the future, but right now they just use some strips of rubber, and they are rather awkward to use. Typically I find two clamps works fine. I have a couple of smaller Jorgenson (brand name) squeeze type clamps, and I've seen some people use these to secure the awning on to the van, although they are certainly not as aesthetically pleasing. The clamps do have the advantage of being quick or quicker than the stock clamps.

Troy