Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:43:24 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ordering Parts Online
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Broken studs are obvious - question is, why did they break? If they broke due to corrosion or the previous mechanic over tightening the nuts he should have explained the cause and would have expected you to cover the repair. The next mechanic in line, the one who did the repair, would not know the cause.

I used to work on friend's cars but I quite a while ago partly because I got tired of being accused of breaking things. The last one was a Mercedes V-8 with two stripped spark plug holes. When I explained he asked "why did you strip them". I explained that they were stripped when I pulled the plugs out and I showed him the plugs with aluminum still in the threads. His response was "No-way, I installed those plugs myself". He expected me to helicoil them at my cost, I refused and we have not talked since. Mechanics have thicker skins than I do.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com

I did exactly what you said, revisited the guy who did bad work and asked him to pay the bill I had to pay elsewhere. I had my radiator replaced at a radiator shop. The guy broke the power studs on the fan, and told me the fan was bad, but he did not know why. He wanted to replace it for a large price for parts and labor. Of course, the fan worked fine before he worked on it.

I took the camper to Darell Cook, Vanagon and other VW mechanic par excellence. He found the broken studs, repaired the fan, and charged me what I thought was a reasonable price. I paid the bill, and took it to the radiator shop owner, to whom I explained why the fan would not work after he reinstalled it.

So, he said to me, "I suppose you want me to pay your bill for the fan repair?" "Well, yes," I said. He snapped out, "Well, sue me!" I took the bill and walked toward the door, shaking my head. He called me back, and tried to explain that breaking something like that was just a normal part of automobile repair work, and the customer was always at risk of that happening. He'd already broken two nylon couplings involved in the cooling system, but I gave him credit there for the parts being nylon and 20 years old, and bought new ones and paid for their install. But the fan he just broke, and if competent he could have repaired it. Should have.

So I explained to him that my mother taught me that if I broke something, I was responsible for it. We talked a good long while about this. Eventually, he paid half the repair bill I was out because of his incompetence, and I let it go at that. But of course, I won't go back to him, and I have told two different people who needed radiator work not to go there.

mcneely

---- Mike B <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET> wrote: > Scott, > > I have been repairing and restoring not only autos and engines, but

> aircraft, houses and commercial fire alarm and security systems also > for well over 30 years. I have seen plenty of shoddy repairs in every

> trade. I, too, could write a book and fill volumes with the > unbelievably bad workmanship that I have had to find, and set right. > This type of work rarely happens in aviation due to strict laws > regarding records, maintenance logs, technician signatures and quality

> assurance inspectors, including both civilian and military aviation. > I have repaired everything from hot air balloons to 747's to F-15 jet > engine overhaul, retiring 10 yrs ago from the USAF with 21 yrs of > service all over the world. A version of these quality repair methods > could happen in the automotive repair world, if laws were enacted to > make it a requirement. The way automotive technology and lawsuits/ > liability is going, maybe one day it will happen, but I doubt it will > happen soon. If someone is killed due to a mechanic's shoddy repairs > (like improper brake work, fuel system work or neglecting to inform a > customer about a safety-related defect on their vehicle), they will > likely be sued and found liable. So, even though you may feel like > the lone good mechanic in a world that's so obviously full of bad > ones, you MUST continue to do it right, and inform the customer of > what you find that wasn't done right by previous others. And yes, > people do charge as much money for shoddy repairs as people like you do for quality > repairs, but you're not the one cheating the customer. And yes, the > customer has every right to sue the bad mechanic when they go to court

> [...]

-- David McNeely