Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:30:05 -0400
From:         J B <jbever@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar Power

Thanks for the great answers everyone. Although I like the thought of having= a larger 100W panel, I want to keep the roof clear for a potential future r= oof rack to add other "toys". I also like the idea that a smaller one can be= somewhat hidden inside the luggage rack. I did look in to the removable panels that can be set-up elsewhere in the di= rect sunlight but I would rather have it permanantly attached to take advant= age of the sun while driving. I do use the original dometic fridge on propan= e which works fine for me so my other electric needs aren't that great but w= ill definitely look for more than a 30W panel now

Thanks again for the feedback on the batttery as well as links to different = size panels

Now it's off to eBay and Amazon to search for some deals. Hopefully I'll hav= e something installed by the end of the month John.

-----Original Message----- From: "mark drillock" [mdrillock@COX.NET] Date: 06/29/2013 12:37 PM To: "" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Re: Solar Power

The OP does NOT have an electric fridge. His solar needs are not mission critical. Even if he did, it all depends on how the vehicle is being used. Some people like the OP want a panel that fits hidden inside the luggage rack and that is what I was addressing. Here is another source for a single 60 watt panel that by its listed dimensions will fit down inside the front luggage rack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-18V-CE-TUV-RV-Motorh= ome-Boat-60-Watt-/130807502002?pt=3DLH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=3Ditem1e74bc14b2=

I have been running 2 Vanagon campers with electric only fridges for years, without solar, without charging from 110v, just on alternator DC charging for trips of weeks and months. Solar is icing on the cake at times and I have it for when I need it, rare as that is for me. I have 3 batteries in each camper, with well configured alternator charging and that is the key. The solar is nice for keeping things topped up when the vans are just sitting and for extending the battery life by a few days but I can stop for 2-3 nights just on battery of 120ah.

Mark

Craig Cowan wrote: > I wouldn't consider less than 60 watts worth it as an input, but good for = keeping batteries charged when not in use. > I have 80 watts and twice your batteries, and I don't feel it's enough. I = also have a fridge though.... > > -craig >