Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jun 2013 07:36:40 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Solar Power
Comments: To: J B <jbever@EXCITE.COM>

If you look carefully there are bigger panels that fit, even a rare 60 watt that fits in the front luggage rack and won't stick up above the top surface. I found some 40 watt that could stack one on top of another up there. My idea is that the top one would be attached by hinges at the front edge of the luggage rack and always wired in. The other one is stored loose under it to let you easily get to it. Then set it out some distance from the van on a long cord for those times when you are parked in the shade. That can be a serious issue depending on where you tend to camp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-40-Watt-Solar-Panel-PV-Mono-crystalline-25-Years-Power-Output-Warranty-/380556850179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589af4b403

The only 60 watt I can find that by its dimensions would fit is this one, sold in pairs. They won't stack though without sticking up above. Maybe you have a friend who would take the second one or you could carry it inside on the upper bed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Two-60-W-Watt-60W-Photovoltaic-Mono-Solar-Panel-Module-18V-RV-Boat-120W-/221194154695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338032f2c7

As for the notion of the panel paying for itself in gasoline savings from reduced alternator load, I don't think so. You might get a bigger savings from improved aerodynamics in the luggage rack.

Mark

J B wrote: > > I have done some research and would like to find a panel that would fit in the luggage rack of my Westy which measures approx 19"x45". I don't use the luggage rack and would prefer using it rather than the pop-top roof. > ......... > The problem I'm finding is most solar panels seem to be 26" wide which won't fit the luggage rack and the largest one I can see that will fit is only a 30W (16"x26") something like this: > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-30-Watt-Solar-Panel-12V-12-Volt-Battery-Charger-Off-Grid-RV-Boat-/271167309560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22d4c6f8 > > I have a 400W power inverter and really only need power to charge 2 phones, 1 ipad, sink pump, 1 laptop, interior LED lights, and maybe a few hours of radio. Would a 30 watt solar panel be enough to keep the battery charged or would a 60/100Watt be needed? I also have yet to camp "off grid" for more than 3 days in a row > > Thanks - John. >