Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jul 2013 19:53:54 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      AGM group 41 battery choices?

Just go to a Wal-Mart and get the battery. If it fails in less than 2 years you get a full refund and you get to start the 2 year deal again.

Just a word of caution here. I purchased a deep cycle battery to put under my rear seat from Walmart. It was late in the year, and never had the opportunity to even take it out camping. I charged it at various times throughout the winter, and it did remain in my garage (not heated). My starter battery and several other batteries have been going strong for 5+ years, but the Walmart battery would not hold a charge after one season. Actually within a few months, it seemed like it just would not hold charge, but would accept charge just fine.

I took it back to Walmart with receipt in hand, and they told me it had only a one-year warranty, and it had expired. No proration. I got a 9 Dollar core charge, and that was it. Since I was heading out of town, and needed a battery straightaway, I just purchased another one reluctantly. Admittedly I think I paid about $83 for it, so not superexpensive.

I did find it highly unusual to have the battery fail within one year, particularly considering it was never even used. It seems to me it was the "ever smart" brand, but I don't have the battery in front of me to look at at the moment.

You've been warned.

As far as starter batteries, I don't know why you would want to use a deep cycle, as it's just the opposite of what they're designed to do. I would be more concerned about cold cranking power and warranty. I had one of the Optima batteries behind my driver seat as one of my original batteries for auxiliary items. I think that thing was one of the worst batteries, other than the Walmart one. In order to fulfill the warranty I had to drive 350 miles, and I got back a whopping $25. I think I paid something like $140-$150 for that battery. I would say the best thing about it was the advertising. Never again for me. Absolute junk.

As to the best batteries I've had the experience with. It would have to be the universal brand. They have been the true energizer for me. I think I'm into year four and they are still going strong--like new actually.

Best,

Troy