Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jul 2013 06:01:01 -0400
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane Fill Question (Ontario, Canada)

You have now officially opened the BIG can of worms. This stupidity in Ontario has been getting more and more prevalent. First off, my local, Almonte, filling station does not ask for this certificate. Now, that said, I have numerous customers who are being asked for this certificate. So far I have found only two places to get this certificate: Doron Motors on Montreal Street, Kingston, 613 546-2125. The other is 54 Cleopatra in Nepean 613 225-3591. The folks in charge of Propane in Ontario are: TSSA, "Technical Standards & Safety Authority" < http://www.tssa.org/home/default.asp?loc1=home> I have tried contacting them to get clarification on this subject and let me tell you they are not easy to reach. You need to find their email address, send them a request to speak with them and if they deem it necessary they send you the phone number to call them. I never did get that phone number but was told that if I wanted the document on the rules of Propane for RV use I needed to spend $135 for the PDF document or $175 for the hard copy. Well, guess what ? I am not spending my hard earned cash to get a copy of a rule or law or whatever they call it that all CITIZENS of Ontario are supposed to be following and abiding by ! I had one customer in the North Bay area tell me his local shop wanted $400 to inspect and certify a brand new tank that he ordered in from Go Westy ! Another customer told me his local shop was doing the same thing for $100. "Evidently" from what "I've heard" the certificate is a document on a sheet of paper you are supposed to keep in the vehicle and produce when asked for it, and it's only good for 5 years. Like I said; "this is hearsay" as I am not able to have a copy of the rules without PAYING for them ! Middle finger now pointing straight up at the Ontario Government and the TSSA. More comments welcome from anyone in Ontario who has been able to get further into this mystery.

On 2013-07-03, at 9:54 PM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote:

> I have a very quick question to the fellow Vanagoners in Ontario. I went to > get a propane fill for an upcoming trip and was asked for my Certificate. I > had never heard of this before, and as this is only the second time I > filled the tank since buying my Westy (no questions then about 9 months > ago) I wanted to ask the list what Certificate do I need to get ?

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 06 ~ 09, 2013