Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jul 2013 09:41:29 -0500
From:         raceingcajun <raceingcajun@COMMUNICOMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oddball CL find - pre-Vanagon
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>

Very interesting. I got my start with Volkswagens of America, Mid America Cars, in 1967, at the Port of Lake Charles (Louisiana) installing air conditioning in Type 1's and Type 3's. After they were unloaded from that ship or one like it. For the return trip they would load it with rice or other agricultural products, even scrap metal. The cars were stacked on tiers 4 high. The crew sure had there ducks in a row. They put a ramp up to the stack and rolled them off and into a huge parking lot. A real sad thing happened once, the cargo hole "lid" had leaked and swamped one of the holes. It flooded the first layer of cars. They set those cars aside, and a crew of Germans came and pulled the engines and transmissions, and took a sledge hammer to them, loaded the body's on another ship to be mashed I guess. Man what a waste. 40 or 50 new 1968 Type 1's gone! I was told that the salt water just kills the magnesium cases, like holes in just a few weeks. By law you can't sell a swamped car as "new"! But I sure would have given them scrap price for one or two. I think Chevrolet had a similar thing happen when a Hurricane flooded a lot full of New Chevy trucks in Florida once.

So if you had a 68 thru 70 Type 1 - 3 with air, I may have installed it. By the way I could install almost three units a day in Type 1's just two in Type 3's. Oh one thing, I was about 75 pounds less of a man then. LOL

Howard