Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 2013 14:51:20 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil change experience
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

David, all I can say about dropping the oil filter is, as you have discovered, it is better to wear goggles.

I use a funnel to pour the used oil into the bottle, the same funnel I use to pour new oil into the engine. Since I buy my oil in five quart bottles, I have both a bigger bottle mouth, and a bigger bottle, making pouring the oil easier to accomplish.

When I add oil, I do not assume that the sump is absolutely empty, even though I have drained until the oil completely stops dripping into the catch basin. I have also replaced the oil filter. I add some oil, check the stick, add some more oil, check the stick, and so on until the oil level reads between the minimum and maximum marks. Then I start the engine and let it run for a few minutes before shutting it off and giving it a bit of time to drain the oil into the pan. Then I check the stick, and add oil to bring the level back to the mid-position between the two marks again if needed.

Good to go.

mcneely

---- David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Recently I did my first oil change on a Vanagon. > I had read a couple of advice articles and had all the tools ready, new filter, new drain-plug washer, filter wrench, plastic tray, goggles. > Could not find my Mahle filters which I ordered from the Bus Depot eons ago, so I ended up using a Fram ToughGuard TG2870A filter (yes, it has an anti-drainback valve) from Walmart. > First, it could not be easier on a Vanagon since the drain plug and filter are about as easy to reach as you could wish for. > I put on my goggles and had no trouble removing the plug and draining the oil. > This is where I made a big mistake. I took off the goggles to get a good view of the filter so I could attach the wrench. I forgot to put the goggles back on before I loosened the filter. > I thought I had the filter securely held but underestimated its weight full of oil, so it fell into the drain pan and splashed my entire face with oil. Luckily it missed my eyes. It took an hour to clean my face, eyebrows, moustache etc. etc. > A puzzling thing. I looked in the owners manual, added the precise quantity of oil (Castrol GTX 20-50) but the dipstick indicates max level even after running for a while. > Now I am left with a drain pan full of black oil and an oil filter I have no idea what to do with. > Not sure I'd risk transporting a pan full to the brim with oil in my Vanagon. I tried pouring the oil into the empty Castrol bottles but I spilled so much I gave up on that. > > -David ('87 Wolfsburg)

-- David McNeely