Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 2013 14:41:53 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil change experience
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Okay, so I'd be in deep trouble too if I tried to use any kitchen pots or pans to do my automotive dirty work. Speaking of dirty, you should see the looks I get when my wife cannot find certain funnels that she needs... =O So I go out and buy my own..... At least that is what I have done. I also have a couple of turkey basters for extracting large amounts of liquid from containers when needed.

And regarding DIY versus a mechanic I stringently do my own VW oil changes specifically on the vanagon mostly because I don't want some ham handed, brute force wrencher stripping out my oil drain hole. I've actually have maintained the integrity of that drain hole and have not yet had to have it helicoiled or counter-sunk after 237K miles. The other reasons are cost, and knowing how much oil to put in in the first place. After I drain the system overnight because I want the last dirty drop out of there and no garage is going to do that, I carefully loosen the oil filter just enough to get a little stream going into the oversized drain pan that has its own internal reservoir. When the stream of oil from the oil filter slows to a drip and carefully screw it the rest of the way off knowing that I want to tilt it towards the center of the drip pan. Yes it can slip so don't feel bad. I've been splashed in the face with oil, gasoline and antifreeze and I'm still alive from those mishaps. Just don't make it a habit.

After I've gotten all of the oil drained, shove the pan aside a bit and wipe down the excess dripage and replace the drain bolt careful to get it just tight not a dying strain as Muir would say. Then I grab my new filter and slop a little oil on the top part and smear it on the gasket with a good coating and then screw it onto the van. I usually put some oil in the filter maybe 1/4 to 1/2 quart. I don't want it to slop out when I screw it back on.

Then I add exactly 4 and 1/2 quarts (less any added to the filter) to the van. This should put the oil level on the dip stick to about 1/2 way between the full and add marks. Thus you don't over fill it and you're well below the bubbling point.

I run the vans engine for a few minutes and check for leaks. With none found I take the oil in the oil pan and put it aside for day or so to make sure the filter is completely drained. Then I pour the contents from the pan into an empty used gallon water jug and then take the jug full of oil and the filter to Jiffy Lube and they take it here in California. Your local laws may vary but I'm sure glad they recycle the materials from the filters. They get lots of oil and metal from those filters.

That's all,

Steven 91 Westy