Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 2013 22:37:30 -0400
From:         Ian Allan <ian.allan@BMTS.COM>
Subject:      Propane Fill Question (Ontario, Canada)

About 3 years ago I was refused propane service at 3 locations in my area. Each operator looked for the propane inspection decal ( a diamond shaped decal) which I did not have. The local TSSA inspector had told the operators that they would be liable for a huge fine if they supplied propane to a vehicle not showing the inspection decal. One of the operators gave me the name of a shop in Markdale ON. the would do the inspection. I called the shop, explained my problem and they offered in inspect the system in my van for $150.00 and supply the decal.

I sent an email to TSSA asking for clarification and was surprised to get a telephone call within a few hours from a TSSA rep. asking for details with respect to my propane system. After explaining that the tank supplied appliances only (not the engine) the rep. sent me a letter (signed) via email that said in part " while it is advisable to inspect all propane systems periodically the ACT IS SILENT on systems that supply propane to appliances only". (No inspection required).

I hand delivered copies of that letter to the retailers in my area received service from the first operator that I approached. I have not had to refill the tank for the last two years.

I was also told that the mfg. tank certification ( Manchester's rust gathering tag) needed to be attached to the tank to authenticate the ASME spec.

I have no doubt the ever pervasive TSSA may have changed the regs. in Ontario since I got the letter. My intention is to convert my stove to the green bottles, my fridge is 12 V Danfloss, and avoid dealing with TSSA licensed retailers.

Worth an email to TSSA, I think they may respond to taxpayers...

Ian Allan