Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 2013 23:59:55 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil change experience
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Opening up the filter after use is one of the best ways ever to see what ou engine is doing. Back in the day when I was aircraft mechaniking - engines mostly had screens - not filters. The job was to pull the screens, was them out with gas or thinner, flushing it all through a very fine paint screen. Next was to lay the screen out flat an spread the collected stuff out - first testing with a small magnet. Iron bearing material of course would stick to the magnet. Such metals would come from the crankshaft, camshaft, valves, rings and some gears in the case of airplanes. Not thing specific - but th4e quantity could give yo a good idea as to how much wear was happening and how fast. Bronze and other non-ferrous materials would shine brightly under a small light. Black stuff was usually carbon. Same principles apply to the oil filters on the Vanagon. A filter inspection is a wise thing to do at each oil change.

I once worked in an oil analysis lab for the US Army at Ft. Rucker, AL. Oil samples were pulled from aircraft engines, helicopter engines, and transmissions. We tracked the metals and quantities in multiple aircraft. Got to where we could predict an engine/transmission about 85% of the time. That rate may have improved over time. Had fun with it. We had a couple of test helicopters that were deliberately hovers in sand pits for hours on end and operation to destruction. While we tested the oils at intervals. Same-o, Same-o! WE could always tell when something was about to break.

BTW, Don - do you hap[pen to remember specifically which outfit you got your filter cutter from?

John

On 7/6/2013 11:33 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > I have an oil filter cutter. Sourced from one of the online racing > companies... Sort of similar to a glass cutter tool, but it cuts the base > of an oil filter right off so you can pull out the internal paper or mesh > to check it and see just what is going through the oiling system. Racing > trick. When you look closely and see metal...more than just a tiny > bit...you know you are headed for a rebuild soon...When I changed after > each race it was a good way to see how things fared inside there. Now I > change (dino-oil) each 3k miles and it still helps me assure myself that > all is good inside the motor......If something is starting to go bad, like > a rod bearing or a main...then you easily see bronze flakes trapped by the > filter internals.... and you then know it's time to go inside to save > yourself from a catastrophic engine failure. > I have a wood/oil burner shop stove that takes my used motor oil and > gives me back some heat..I get double value for the cost of it rather than > having to pay to get it gone......I collect it in big jugs using a funnel, > save it all summer then heat my shop with it in addition to wood during the > coldest months. > > I never heard of wearing goggles when changing my oil....I just don't > drop things in the dish tub I use...Of course my current motor with the > diesel pan is pretty easy access without even lifting the vehicle > > On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Marco <nwmarco@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> I have taken to writing the date/mileage on the oil filter. >> >> Helps me to remember when to change it again. >> >> Cheers, >> Marco >> >