Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:44:29 +0000
From:         "Fuhrel, Robert" <robert.fuhrel@CSN.EDU>
Subject:      anyone under sixty on this list?

Not I . I turned 66 in February. Pardon me if I repeat. Bought a '74 or '75 Vanagon in Concord, California in June of '81 during a three month break from teaching in American Samoa. My wife, four kids, two under four years old, two teens, and I drove through Yosemite, through Las Vegas (1st time here), across Hoover Dam, down through Arizona, over to Taos and Santa Fe, then to Carlsbad Caverns, then to Lubbock to see Buddy Holly's grave and monument, up across Texas and Oklahoma on the way to Stephen Gaskin's Farm in Tennessee. Then drove down to New Orleans, where both of my sisters lived and still do. A fuel line broke there and the van burned up, but we had most of our belongings in one sister's house. Flew to Florida for a while, then back through California and Hawai'i to two more glorious years in Samoa.

Didn't have another van until 1994, when after an insurance payment when we got caught in a flash flood in a Cadillac Cimarron in Las Vegas allowed us to buy a 1983 Vanagon Westphalia in Boulder City. I teach Irish Lit; when we got to Boulder City to check out the van, hoping it would be green, it was, and copy of the Portable James Joyce was sitting on the passenger's sear. Inside the owner's apt., Cream's Tales of Brave Ulysses was playing; we knew the van was for us. Bought it and have loved it ever since.

have taken it to Zion and Bryce, had an engine blow in the Virgin River Gorge and camped in a gas station parking lot on Mother's Day in St. George, Utah; have driven it down to Ensenada in Baja, many times to L.A. through snow at Mt. Pass before dipping down to Baker, etc.

In two weeks, putting it on a car carrier and towing it to our new home in Lakeland, Florida, where I hope to interest some of my seven grandkids and one great-grandson eventually in camping in it and helping to work on it a bit with me.

So, I'm leaving the 21 years of teaching here and total 41 years teaching and starting something new, but I wouldn't let go of the Vanagon or the horseshoes!

Best,

Bob