Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:20:01 -0400
From:         Ian Allan <ian.allan@BMTS.COM>
Subject:      Propane Fill Question (Ontario, Canada)

The following is a copy of an email that I sent to Frank C. in 2009. Imbedded is the response from TSSA.

Frank, got this from TSSA. They actually followed up!

I got my tank filled today at the place with the older chap. He eagerly accepted a copy of the eMail below from TSSA. I also spoke to one other propane retailer who had refused me. He too took a copy and speculated as to what part of his TSSA inspector's anatomy would be a suitable repository. He was certain that the inspector told him that ALL systems were subject to inspection and required the decal.

Might be handy to have a copy in your van...

Ian ----- Original Message -----

This is the part from TSSA: ----------------------------

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your enquiry,

The installation code for propane fuel systems and tanks on highway vehicles states...

ON B149.5-05 5.13 Marking and labelling 5.13.1 When a vehicle is converted to run on propane fuel, a label of approved design shall be affixed by the installer on the inside of the rear window or rear side window of the vehicle in close proximity to the filling location, where it can be observed by the attendant prior to filling. See Figure C.1. 5.13.2 When a vehicle is converted to be fuelled by propane, a permanent label of approved design shall be affixed on either a door latch or the inside of the glove compartment. See Figure C.1. 5.13.3 A propane-fuelled highway vehicle shall be identified by a weather-resistant diamond-shaped label affixed to its exterior vertical, or near vertical, lower right rear surface, but not to its bumper. The label shall be approximately 4-3/4 in (120 mm) wide by 3-1/4 in (83 mm) high. The label marking shall consist of a border and the word PROPANE* in letters not less than 1 in (25 mm) in height, centred in the diamond, of silver or white reflective luminous material on a black background. 5.13.4 The propane fuel system shall be inspected at five year intervals, starting with the date of installation, and re-labelled in accordance with Clause 5.13.1.

The codes are silent on inspection requirements for RV tanks and equipment being used for purposes other than motor fuel. It is good industry practice to have inspections done periodically, but they are not mandatory.

Regards,

Rick Evans Technical Service Advisor TSSA, Fuels Safety Program, Technical Services tel. 416 734-3351 | fax. 416 231-7366 | fuels_technical_services@tssa.org | www.tssa.org

Topic: Technical Services

Program Area: Fuels

Comments: Can you please direct me to the actual regulation which requires that an RV display an inspection decal before a propane retailer is legally able to refill the propane tank.

Thank you. Ian Alla

This electronic message and any attached documents are intended only for the named addressee(s). This communication from the Technical Standards and Safety Authority may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and it must not be disclosed, copied, forwarded or distributed without authorization. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Thank you. On 9-Sep-09, at 6:53 PM, Fkc43@aol.com wrote: