Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:26:33 -0500
From:         Steve Sandlin <vwcarlocks@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Lock and Key information

I've had quite a number of messages in the past couple weeks about Vanagon locks and keys, so here's a bit of a primer on them. Most of the failures and difficulty in operating the Vanagon locks is due to either worn or mis-cut keys. We see so many that are just poor copies. We also see a number that are a copy of a copy of a copy, etc. In almost all cases, proper operation can be restored with a new correctly cut key. Remember, making a copy of your worn key will not give you a correct key. You'll just have a worn-out key on freshly-cut metal. We can no longer generate keys from VIN, as those files have been deleted by VW for some time. Vanagons, however, have a 4 digit code number on the locks. When new, the ignition and all the doors operated from a single key, so the same code should be on all locks. Easiest to access is a front door lock. To remove the handle, lift the rubber seal away from the edge of the door adjacent to the door lock. Under the weatherstrip you'll see a fairly large Phillips screw that obviously goes into the end of the handle. Remove this screw, then bump the handle forward with the palm of your hand and it will free itself from the door with no linkages to disconnect. On the end of the lock you'll see a two-pronged casting. The 4 digit code is stamped into that casting. All other locks, with the possible exception of power rear hatch locks have this code on them. You may need to use a wire wheel or scotchbrite pad to remove corrosion to see the code number. Should one key not operate all the locks, it is probable that a lock has been replaced or rekeyed. These can be rekeyed to all match, assuming they are the correct locks. We've found, however that many people are replacing ignition locks with the more generic after-market lock that uses a different key profile. While we can change the locks where the key cuts are, we cannot alter the "grooves" where the key fits. Most earlier Vanagons, except Syncros, used a separate key for the gas cap. There are no codes on those locks. We've found that almost anything will turn the gas cap locks, due to the body of the lock being plastic. Gas fumes and age have softened the plastic to the point were the wafers will not catch on the edge of the channel that locks it. Glove box locks also used a different key. There are no codes on those locks. We can generate a key for them in most cases. We do offer an exchange program on those locks, sending you a used lock with a key and you send you old one back. One of the things that helps the locks tremendously is lubrication. Do not use WD40 or graphite. WD40 turns gummy after a time, and graphite combines with the thick grease originally used in the locks and forms a paste that will harden and jam the locks, especially in areas with a more corrosive environment. We suggest using TRI-FLOW for a lock lubricant. Many bicycle shops stock this product. When we got locks for service, we clean them either ultrasonically or with electrical contact cleaner, depending on the condition. After repairs are completed, we lubricate with a grease supplied by a division of Briggs and Stratton and used in most domestic auto applications. We've found it to be superior to anything else we've tried. As far as keys, the original Vanagon keys were steel. Almost all the north American replacement keys are brass. Many assume that if the key is worn, either brass or steel, the lock must be worn in a corresponding fashion. This is not the case, however. Most of the wear occurs from the keys rubbing together on a keyring while in a pocket or purse. Seldom do we see significant wear in the lock itself, though we do frequently see wear in the broaching inside the lock (the grooves the key rides on) due to an excessive number of other keys and trinkets on the keyring adding a good amount of weight, and therefore leverage which accelerates wear in the locks. Feel free to drop us an email if we can answer other questions at vwcarlocks@hotmail.com. Respectfully, Steve Sandlin, Registered Locksmith and Vanagon owner www.steveslockshop.com