Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 2013 20:32:08 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Good customer service experience, Rotopax
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

No company is going to tell you that there products fail. Over the years I have seen many a container fail including the propane tank on Fun Bus recently. Plastic containers are subject to aging, chemical, and UV attack so in those situations can have a limited life. I am familiar with Rotopax containers and they are a great product. However there are considerations that need to observed especially when handling and storing flammable liquids are any hazardous material. I am also sure that most states have laws concerning carrying fuel containers especially over certain quantities.

I can see if planning an off road adventure over some extended time or mileage the need to carry extra fuel. For traveling normal roads I just don’t see the need to take on the risk. Heck I can’t drive 200 miles without a potty or rest break so I might as well get fuel while I'm at it. Gives a chance to check the other fluids and stuff and feed my face. Leaving a full fuel container on the roof semi permanently just doesn't make sense.

While I am not a fireman I have spent most of my career working in industry and I am a trained chemical emergency responder. I understand the dangers in handling hazardous materials and what can happen when over filled containers get heated, over pressurized, and burst. Property gets damaged and people get hurt.

If you must keep some fuel available on a regular basis consider one of the safer gasoline alternatives such as this.

http://extrafuel.net/

I don’t completely understand how it works but it does.

Dennis

Well, I answered my own question. Rotapax recommends mounting them on the roof. The presenter even states in the video that mounted flat on the roof, the Rotopax has not been known to leak. Quite interesting. From the Rotopax web site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_M-963_jA

I'm not arguing with you, Dennis, just pointing out what the company recommends. Interesting that the advice here is one thing, but that to Mr. Squirrel, after he had a problem, is different.

Hmmmmm..... .

mcneely

---- Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> wrote: > where on a vehicle does Rotopax recommend mounting the things? > mcneely > > ---- Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > "Now let's take this container and place it so that that the sun can

> > hit the large surface area of the side. This way we can heat it up > > even faster. If we vent enough the gasoline will be gone. Oh, and > > lets place this container outside and over our heads. Just a whole bunch of bad ideas." > > > > Yeah well I'm not the brightest one in the classroom. > > > > How about let's discuss better ways to pack spare gasoline? I > > personally can't afford an expensive rear rack to mount a jerrycan. > > > > -- > > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > > Bend, Ore. > > > > On 07/08/2013 10:20 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > > > No matter how well a container is designed some good judgment has > > > to be made in how it is used particularly with flammable liquids. > > > There is a reason that propane tanks can only be filled to 80% capacity. > > > That is a good choice for any liquid container that will be > > > exposed to temperature changes and in particular if any heat > > > sources are involved. That is also the reason that the Vanagon > > > fuel system has expansion tanks and why vehicle fillers are in the

> > > side of the tank so there is always some air space somewhere. As > > > for venting, that is only a temporary fix when a heat source like > > > sitting in the sun is applied. The vapor pressure will be > > > determined by the liquid and its temperature. Since gasoline can > > > make enough vapor to burn at ~-40 just imagine what it can do > > > heated to 120+. Now let's take this container and place it so that

> > > that the sun can hit the large surface area of the side. This way > > > we can heat it up even faster. If we vent enough the gasoline will

> > > be gone. Oh, and lets place this container outside and over our heads. Just a whole bunch of bad ideas. > > > > > > Dennis > > > > > -- > David McNeely

-- David McNeely