Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:44:48 -0400
From:         Stuart Fedak <ve3smf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 11mm brake line wrench
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

I would agree on the heat wrench. Most of my experience has been on the restoration of military 1/4 ton jeeps. I usually try the penetrating fluid bath and other such preparation, but I often had to escalate to using selective heat with a propane torch. I often try the tightening, first, then untightening approach. If that does not work, I have found that it sometimes leads to just cutting off the metal lines as close as I can to the offending nut. I then can use a 1/4 inch drive and a six sided socket over the nut. I usually will escalate to this before the nut has been stripped.

One of the best things I have picked up is a set for flairing the nut ends on new brake line. I buy some of the pre cut brake line with ends already installed and some bulk line as well. I just manufacture hard brake lines as I go. I find this is actually faster than fooling around for hours trying to take off lines that will have to be cut off anyways.

The problem with damaging the nuts is you may get them off the one time, and may be able to tighten them back on, but you will not be able to get them off a second time. You are just leaving a problem for yourself, or some one else later on. You do this enough times and you have replaced the entire brake line system.

When working on the lines or stems brake cylinders, I use the 1/4 inch driver and six sided socket. You have to remember that the bleeders are hollow tubes, and not very strong. They are very easy to break. One more reason to bleed the brake system every two years to keep the brake bleeders working.

In the Republic of Kalifornia, you may not have to go to the above extremes. In Ontario Kanada, with the road salt, sand and rust, the entire brake system takes a beating.

Cheers! Stuart

Sent from my electronic umbilicus