Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:41:32 -0700
From:         Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>
Subject:      Re: burning smell - brakes or tire?

This pad rating got me curious. Go figure, I didn't think about it before but makes sense. I don't think I would simply use price => quality. Reading about pads: http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brkewrhsefaqs.asp - there are many kinds for many applications.

I have no idea what the rating of the pads on the van are right now. I bought some replacements (Bendix D45A) on a previous parts order - I think they were on sale because they'd been discontinued. I'm not entirely sure what their rating is. The box says "RG" but that seems strange - is R really a rating?

The two letters indicate the cold and hot co-efficient of friction, with higher being more friction. More friction is better braking, but higher friction typically means worse performance at higher temperatures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_pad#Types

On other things, I'm going to buy a caliper today. The FLAPS (Lordco) has one at $108 (the no account price) with a core swap - which is reasonable. I'm not sure if I should do both sides though. Also, thanks Dennis, I'll measure the rotor. Good point.

Is it worth flushing the brake system? And if so, with what?

Tom